Breast Augmentation – Advice for Women in the Tampa Bay, FL, Area who are Preparing for Surgery
Your breast augmentation day is fast approaching, and while you’re undoubtedly excited, you might be a little nervous as well. That’s understandable! Dr. John Roach, a respected Florida breast surgeon at the Bayside Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery serving the Tampa Bay, FL, area offers the following advice to help ensure a stress-free surgery and smooth recovery:
- If you smoke, discuss your habit with your surgeon. It’s advisable to stop smoking at least eight weeks prior to your breast augmentation surgery. Smoking can dramatically increase your risk of serious surgical complications, including infection, breathing difficulties, blood clots, and impaired healing. It can also interfere with the breakdown of certain drugs in your body, such as the pain medications your doctor may prescribe to help alleviate any post-surgery pain.
- Adhere to a healthy diet and avoid drinking alcohol in the days leading up to your breast augmentation surgery.
- Ask someone to drive you to and from your appointment and stay with you during the first 24 hours after your procedure. If you have small children, make arrangements for their care. In addition, try to minimize your responsibilities at work and home so you will have a few days to relax while you recover.
- Fill your medical prescriptions prior to the procedure, and ask your doctor when you will be able to resume your regular activities following your breast enlargement.
- On the evening prior to your breast augmentation surgery, shower and wash with antimicrobial soap. Afterwards, do not apply any type of deodorant, moisturizer, cream, lotion, oil, or makeup. It’s also a good idea to remove your nail polish, which will help the anesthesiologist monitor your blood circulation during the procedure (the nail bed is one of the best places to detect low oxygen levels in the blood).
- Follow your physician’s instructions with regard to when you should last eat and drink. Generally, you should not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight on the night before your breast augmentation.
- On the morning of your breast augmentation procedure, you may brush your teeth, but do not swallow more than a sip of water.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing, preferably a top that opens in front, and flat, slip-on shoes to your appointment. Bring only a small bag to carry your paperwork and medications.
If you are in the Tampa Bay, FL, area and would like more information, please contact the Bayside Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Roach is available to answer your questions and address any concerns you may have about breast augmentation surgery or other cosmetic procedures, such as body contouring or breast reduction.