Breast Augmentation Recovery Tips for Women in the Tampa Bay, FL, Area
If you’re considering breast augmentation, questions about the recovery process and the many aspects of the procedure itself are likely at the forefront of your mind. While it’s always advisable to speak directly with your surgeon about your own individual set of circumstances, a discussion of breast augmentation recovery in general may be helpful to use as frame of reference for your personal consultation.
Dr. John Roach is a respected Florida breast surgeon and founder of the Bayside Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, which serves patients throughout the Tampa Bay, FL, area. Dr. Roach offers the following breast augmentation recovery tips and guidelines:
- Your actual recovery time can be influenced by a variety of factors, but most patients experience a post-surgery recovery period of 24 to 48 hours, a reduced-activity period for several days, and swelling and soreness for a few weeks.
- After the procedure, you may be fitted with a special post-operative recovery bra to compress your breasts, which will aid in the process of breast augmentation recovery.
- The first 24 to 48 hours following your surgery will likely be the most uncomfortable. To facilitate healing, rest and relaxation should be your priority during this time. Your doctor may prescribe pain medication to ease your discomfort.
- Cold compresses can be applied to reduce the swelling. In the first few days after your surgery, you will probably feel more comfortable sleeping on your back with your head elevated.
- Some patients find breast massage beneficial. Your surgeon will instruct you on the proper technique. While not essential, breast massage can help settle the breast implants during recovery, and may slightly reduce the risk of capsular contracture.
- You can expect to be able to return to work approximately two weeks after your surgery, and most patients are able to begin light exercise within two to three weeks.
In order to ensure that you are able to resume your daily activities and enjoy your results as soon as possible, Dr. Roach recommends that you carefully follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions.
Contact the Bayside Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery if you would like more information. Dr. Roach is available to meet with you, answer your questions, and address any concerns you may have about breast augmentation recovery or the healing processes associated with other procedures, such as face lift recovery, at his clinic in the Tampa Bay, FL, area.