Dr. John Roach Offers Gummy Bear Implants for Breast Augmentation Near Land O’Lakes
Gummy bear implants are a type of high-strength silicone breast implant so nicknamed because when the implant is cut in half, it remains stable and retains its shape, much like the famous rubbery-textured, bear-shaped candies.* Dr. John Roach of the Bayside Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is pleased to offer gummy bear implants as an option for breast augmentation for Land O’Lakes women. An experienced surgeon who specializes in personalized breast surgery, Dr. Roach is committed to providing patients the highest quality medical care.
Gummy bear implants can provide several advantages when used for breast augmentation. Land O’Lakes breast surgeon Dr. Roach explains:
- Shape retention – Gummy bear implants retain their distinctive shape and impart it upon the breast, while non-form stable fillers, such as saline or standard silicone gel, are subject to the forces of gravity and the breast, and thus will change shape accordingly.
- Minimized folding and rippling – Since the cohesive gel does not shift within the implant shell, the potential for folding and rippling is minimized.
- Lower risk of leakage – Most implant shell ruptures occur along a shell fold. Due to the low risk of folding, shell failures arise much less frequently in gummy bear implants as compared to other types of breast implants. Further, in the unlikely event that the shell does rupture, the cohesive gel will retain its shape and not leak out of the breast cavity.
- Decreased occurrence of capsular contracture – Firm scar tissue forms less often around gummy bear implants in comparison to other implant types. This may be due to the increased firmness of the gummy bear implant, which serves to inhibit the body from contracting around it.
- Natural look and feel – Many women prefer the firmer feel of gummy bear implants, which is perceived by some to be closer to that of natural breasts.
Along with the advantages, however, come some disadvantages as well. For example, the cost is higher than that associated with saline or traditional silicone breast implants. In addition, because gummy bear implants are inflexible, a longer incision may be required for insertion.
If you are considering breast augmentation in Land O’Lakes, a qualified breast surgeon like Dr. Roach can help you determine whether gummy bear implants may be an appropriate option for you. Dr. Roach is available to answer any questions and address any concerns you may have about implant types, breast surgery in general, or other plastic surgery procedures.
If you would like to meet with Dr. Roach to discuss breast augmentation at the Land O’Lakes area Bayside Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, please contact us.
*The nickname “gummy bear implant” is commonly used throughout the medical community and is in no way meant to trivialize this sophisticated medical device.